These Presidential historical materials are in the custody of the National Archives and Records Administration under the provisions of Title I of the Presidential Recordings and Materials Preservation Act of 1974 (44 U.S.C. 2111 note), and implementing regulations. In accordance with the act and regulations, archivists reviewed the file group to identify private or personal as well as non-historical items. Such items, if found, have been withdrawn for return to the individual with primary proprietary or commemorative interest in them.
Materials covered by this act have been archivally processed and are described in this finding aid. Items that are security classified or otherwise restricted under the act and regulations have been removed and placed in a closed file. A Document Withdrawal Record (NA Form 14021) has been placed in the front of each folder describing each withdrawn item. Employees of the National Archives will review periodically the unclassified portions of closed materials for the purpose of opening those which no longer require restrictions. Classified documents may be reviewed for declassification under authority of Executive Order 13526 in response to Mandatory Review Request (NA Form 14020) submitted by the researcher.
- Linear measurement of materials: 1 in.
- Number of pages: 150
The District of Columbia Alley Dwelling Act (48 Stat. 930) established the National Capital Housing Authority (NCHA) as “The Authority” on June 12, 1934. Executive Order 6868 (October 9, 1934) renamed the agency as the Alley Dwelling Authority, designated its membership, and outlined its functions. Originally, the Authority confined its activities to slum reclamation in squares in the District containing inhabited alleys. At the time the Authority began its operations there were approximately 200 such squares. Under the Act, the Authority could redevelop an alley square for any purpose that served the interest of the city. As many of these squares were not adapted to low-rent housing, the Authority sought amendments that would enable it to build dwellings for low-income families equal in number to those displaced by its slum reclamation on other sites. In the meantime, the United States Housing Act of 1937 was passed. At the next session of Congress, the Authority secured the desired amendments to its act and was authorized to borrow from the United States Housing Authority on the same terms as local housing authorities in other cities.
With the beginning of World War II, the Authority temporarily suspended its work and concentrated attention on providing additional dwellings for defense workers and, later, for war workers. But expansion of military facilities, such as the Navy Yard and a military highway displaced resident low-income families and necessitated provisions be made for these people. Executive Order 9344, of May 21, 1934, established the authority as an independent agency and changed the name to National Capital Housing Authority.
After the war, NCHA continued as the public housing agency for the District of Columbia, attempting to provide an adequate supply of proper housing for low-income families and individuals. In addition to building and acquiring housing, the Authority managed and maintained the properties as well as provided social services, such as day care, tutoring and recreational activities, for residents. On March 13, 1968, by Executive Order No. 11401, the President designated the Commissioner of the District of Columbia as the Authority to carry out the provisions of the District of Columbia Alley Dwelling Act. The Executive Order stated that in carrying out his functions as such Authority the Commissioner would be known as the “National Capital Housing Authority.”
The District of Columbia Home Rule Act (87 Stat. 779) of December 24, 1973, abolished the agency, effective July 1, 1974.
The records consist of correspondence, memoranda, and annual reports dating from 1969 to 1973 that relate to the National Capital Housing Authority. Primary correspondents include the following White House staff members: Daniel Moynihan, John Ehrlichman, and Ken Cole, as well as Edward Aronov and James G. Banks, Executive Directors of the Authority. The bulk of the materials address the proposed text of President Nixon’s letters of transmittal to Congress for National Capital Housing Authority annual reports. Corresponding Oversized Attachments 7519, 9586, and 12660 have been processed and are available in White House Central Files: Processed Oversized Attachments.
The terms Executive and General are used before the code FG 166 generally to determine the source of the materials. Items designated Executive are communications among national, foreign, state and local governments and their agencies, Members of Congress, and other prominent people. Items designated General are communications between Government officials and private citizens, institutions, and other private interests.
[EX] FG 166 National Capital Housing Authority [1969-1970]
[EX] FG 166 National Capital Housing Authority 1/1/1971-[12/31/1972]
[EX] FG 166 National Capital Housing Authority 1/1/1973-[8/9/1974]
[GEN] FG 166 National Capital Housing Authority [1969-1970]
[GEN] FG 166 National Capital Housing Authority 1/1/1971-[12/31/1972]
[GEN] FG 166 National Capital Housing Authority 1/1/1973-[8/9/1974] [empty]